Fire Chief/CEMC, Fort Frances Fire & Rescue Service
In the past few days, it has come to my attention that there are people throughout our community running vehicles inside their attached garages with the garage door open.
This is an extremely dangerous practice!
Never run a vehicle or other fuelled engine or motor inside a garage—even if the garage doors are open.
Always remove a vehicle from the garage immediately after starting it.
You may have gotten away with this dangerous practice in the past. Well, you're lucky . . . many people throughout Canada haven't been.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is known as the “silent killer” because it is an invisible, odourless, and tasteless gas that can be deadly.
Follow these simple rules to prevent carbon monoxide in your home:
- Ensure fuel-burning appliances, chimneys and vents are cleaned and inspected annually (learn more at COSafety.ca);
- Check that all venting for appliances is not blocked;
- Gas and charcoal barbecues/grills only should be used outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings;
- Never use barbecues/grills inside garages—even if the garage doors are open;
- Portable fuel-burning generators only should be used outdoors in well-ventilated areas, away from windows, doors, vents, and other building openings;
- All portable fuel-burning heaters should be vented properly, according to manufacturer's instructions;
- Never use the stove or oven to heat your home; and
- Open the flue before using a fireplace.
In Ontario, more than 65 percent of injuries and deaths from carbon monoxide occur in the home.
The Ontario Fire Code requires all Ontario homeowners to install working carbon monoxide alarms in homes that contain a fuel-burning appliance, fireplace, or attached garage.
Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause 'flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, and dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, and death.
Carbon monoxide alarms can be purchased at most home improvement stores.
Having working carbon monoxide alarms in your home to keep you and your family safe is mandatory in Ontario.
It is a simple step to take.
"As your fire chief/CEMC, I urge everyone in the Town of Fort Frances to do their part in helping to prevent the presence of deadly carbon monoxide in their homes by having all fuel-burning appliances inspected annually by a qualified technician.
“Installing and maintaining working carbon monoxide alarms is the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones from the presence of carbon monoxide.”